Monday, June 7, 2010

Monday Thoughts

Actually, not many thoughts!  Today I picked some rhubarb, tomorrow I will make some rhubarb jam.  I'm not sure, is rhubarb a cultural item, or a "hard times" fruit?  Maybe a Midwest specialty??  To me it's all of them, a pie filling or jam makings or even a dessert centerpiece.  Ken is hoping for a rhubarb custard pie!  Last week I made some of Judy's beans.  At this time of year I have the urge to preserve things. 

But I did sew a little this week.  I hemmed two pairs of pants.  And sewed a binding on.  Yes, something QUILTY finally.  Later this week I will do the hand sewing.  



I've been so busy it's hard to sew.  We have just a few acres of soybeans to plant, unless it rains a lot.  Either way, we'll be done soon.  It seems all I get done is laundry, dishes, help Ken.  Garden.  Errands.  I miss my sewing machine, but I love to garden, have flowers, volunteer, cook.  I'm taking advantage of summer here, it won't last long.  Have you been sidelined by summer??



 

7 comments:

Sue H said...

Hi, Lori: Living in a townhouse, I sure do miss our rhubarb. A friend served us a delicious rhubarb crisp last week. mmmmm Nothing else tastes like it!

pdudgeon said...

i agree, rhubarb is a wonderful treat. takes me back to my childhood days when we would visit my grandfather and always come away with a few stalks.

love that quilt in the pic! great combo of brown and greys.

Pat said...

yes! summer has slowed me down in the sewing/quilting department and DD is still in school~until Thursday!

not much blog fodder happening around my parts :(

Nancy said...

Lovely quilt, such calm colors.

I like rhubarb sauce on my morning toast. Perhaps, I will make some today.

Carmi said...

Hi Lori, I bought rhubarb from the farmer's market last Tuesday and made a Rhubarb Custard Pie. I love everything rhubarb. With the leftovers I canned them in hopes for a topping on ice cream or jam. We love the pie warmed with vanilla ice cream.

Henrietta said...

What a pretty and unusual quilt, can't wait to see the whole quilt picture when you are done.

MightyMom said...

Yup sidelined by summer fur sure

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...