Sunday, July 14, 2019

No sewing but .....

There's been no sewing.  My shoulder/arm are not getting better.  More Dr appointments will be needed.  But I WANT to sew!  Earlier this week I was cheered up by two boxes of donated fabric from Judy B--


 The big box was HEAVY!  Here is a pic of the contents--


Judy sent me yardage on the right, and her stash of homespuns.  She even included BLADES!  Homespuns are not something I buy but they make the most beautiful comfortable cuddly quilts--perfect for boy quilts!  How much did she send?  27 pounds.  That's 80 to 100 yards of fabric!  WOOHOOO!  Thank you Judy!  Next began the search for patterns to use the fabric.  This one has made the short list--


Snowball and Puss in Corner or Uneven 9 patches.  Perfect!  I am always looking for patterns that are simple and use limited background fabric.  This is a picture I copied from Pinterest--no link to go with it.  Can't you see those homespuns using this setting?  

It has turned hot and humid.  Still getting lots of rain.  During the weekend of the 4th we had 1.80" of rain at the camper, and 2.75" at our house.  We did not plant any crops this year.  A road to one field has either been closed or 4 wheel drive only--and that's the public road!  The weeds are going crazy, too wet to spray, too wet to disc them under.  But its better than drought, nothing more depressing than planting seed only to watch them wither to nothing.  And you still have all the costs associated with planting.

~Lori1R in Nebraska~
 

6 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Sorry that you're still unable to sew. I hope the doctor can give you some answers and treatment options. Nice selection of homespun fabric. I think the pattern you selected will work perfectly for them. It's been raining here every afternoon, so I'm sure more moisture is headed your way.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

It's been a crazy weather year for sure. I'm sure there are plenty of farmers in your boat (ha) not planting crops because of too much water. Warren went over to Pierce last week on the Golf Course road from 14 to Pierce and said there was one field that looked like the whole quarter was under water. The irrigation system was setting there with water half-way up its wheels. I hope the farmers can hang on, this year will be such a blow.

You hit the fabric jackpot and I really like the pattern you found. Can I steal the picture? You could also just cut good sized squares of the homespuns and snowball them, set them side to side. That would save making all the 4-patches and save even more background fabric. I think I'm going to do that with the tub full of saved feed sacks I have. I want something that will show them off and not cut them into itty bitty pieces.

Melinda in CT said...

I've made several homespun Tumbler quilts using the 6" Accuquilt die. So very quick and easy. And is a great guy quilt. https://quiltninwilton.blogspot.com/2014/03/stash-report_30.html

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh I really like that quilt~! It will be great in all those homespuns! Hope you heal super super fast!!!

Sara said...

Lots more rain today but maybe it didn’t reach that far south. I think there are a LOT of fields unplanted in this half of the state this year.

It’s like Christmas at your house between the Island Batiks and the donation boxes. Wow! Lots of pretty stuff. So hopefully that arm and shoulder begin to heal so you can have some fun with all that new fabric.

phawthorne said...

This is sooo cute. I love this pattern. Now I'll have to try it, even for a throw. Hope you're on the mend. Weather was crazy here too in SE TX. Flooding, high winds knocked the blossoms off my Meyers lemon tree two years straight. Hoping for the best with a tree full of buds.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...