Saturday, August 3, 2019

Friday Confessions on Saturday

No sewing.  The Dr says I have to rest my arm/shoulder for another 3 weeks.  Rehab exercises and wear my sling.  UGH  Then we'll reassess.  Rotary cutting is out.  Sewing binding by hand is out.  I sewed some 5" squares together (they were precut from my scraps) to do a new method of Uneven 9 Patches or Puss in Corner blocks.  (Made prior to the latest Dr. appt, BAD LORI).

https://susies-scraps.com/2016/09/17/uneven-nine-patch-block-tutorial/

Is it easier?  Faster?  No, but I have a large tote of precut 5" charms cut from scraps. 

I used my pink squares for the July Rainbow Scrappy Challenge.  I'm linking with SoScrappy.    The sewing of these blocks really irritated my arm, but my soul felt better.  Sigh  

I have a new friend--meet Lester--


Lester is a common toad.  He was in front of the Visitor Center one very hot day baking on the concrete.  Andrew caught him and put him in a box, I took him to my campsite and put him in the flower bed.  I'm hoping Lester eats lots of bugs!

My garden in pots is doing well.  Recently we ate the first tomatoes--

There are lots of small tomatoes and flowers, I'm looking forward to eating lots of tomatoes.  The zucchini blossoms are beautiful--

The zucchini plants are covered with blossoms and have lots of zucchini babies. Did you know there are male and female blossoms?  This is a male blossom.  The plant will produce many male blossoms when it begins blooming to attract lots of pollinators.  Here is a picture of both sexes--
(Photo from Pinterest)
You can read about them here.

~Lori1R in Nebraska~

7 comments:

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Oh no - no sewing? That is hard on the soul! I've seen that uneven nine patch method before, but never tried it - now I want to! Keep resting that arm and shoulder - hopefully three weeks will go by quickly.

Sheila said...

Please heal up soon. Nice tomato!

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Sorry to hear that your shoulder is acting up so bad that you can't sew. Now, I don't always sew, but to be told I can't would not be good.

We've had a few toads around this summer. One hangs out under the rose bush near the front steps. He keeps growing & growing. At first the cats bothered them, but they've given up on that!

No ripe tomatoes here yet. The plants are so bushy I don't know if I could find them if there are any. And I definitely should have space those plants further apart. Who knew they would go so crazy??

Got some good books to read? Have to have something to do when you can't sew!

Tired Teacher said...

Three weeks will go by quickly - read some good books, find some old quilt magazines for ideas, and visit some old friends.

Sara said...

So sorry to hear you are out of commission for another 3 weeks. Bummer - you’ll just have to relax and find some good books to read. Or have lots of lunch/coffee dates with friends.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Great selection of PINK blocks for the RSC!! Take it easy, Lori. SEW sorry to hear that you aren't able to play with your fabric as much as you would like!

Susie H said...

Lester is adorable. I'm sure he'll be helpful to you in appreciation of you giving him a nicer environment to live. I hope you'll be able to pass these next few weeks watching Lester and enjoying your garden.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...