Saturday, May 1, 2021

Back Again

Its been a long busy winter.  Not much sewing, I had a torn left meniscus and worn out cartilage in my left knee.  I had to wait 90 days as I had had a cortisone injection in that knee.  February 11th they replaced half the knee--it was "the surgery was a success, but the patient not so good"!  Allergies to pain medications, antibiotic intolerance, the pain block for my knee never worked and came out prematurely.  The first week was rocky!  But it got better, I only had three rehab sessions and was released--I could do all the bending, I just need to build strength and balance.  

We decided to retire from farming, we were small farmers and had small farm sale April 5th.  We both felt relieved to be done.  Ken is still working and I took a job at a different Corps of Engineers campground in South Dakota--Left Tailrace at Big Bend Project.

This is in central South Dakota, the campground is along Big Bend Dam in the middle of the Missouri River.  

Here is a picture of our campsite--

The trees are just starting to leaf out, there is an apple tree budding to the left of our camper.  We bought a different camper, bigger and newer.  We have a fireplace and a wine cooler/bar.  🙄  But the best news is WE HAVE NO SQUIRRELS!  YAH!!  Here is the fee booth where I work--

Today was the first day we were open, a few small glitches (YouTube video #3 and we could change the print cartridge) but I think it went fairly smooth.  But there were personal problems--
My phone had a fall.  Yes, I had a screen protector BUT if it hits hard enough it breaks.  So much time and extra miles to get a replacement phone up and running.  And I forgot a couple things--my hooded sweatshirt I can wait for Ken to bring me but this is absolutely necessary--
I forgot my flat iron!  My hair is long, thick, and wildly curly.  I immediately ordered one from Amazon, I am a long ways from a Walmart or other place to buy one.  Today I used the big curling iron and had "Texas big hair".  

But it was absolutely beautiful weather today, I like working at the fee booth, campers are fun people.  

Lori1R at Left Tailrace Campground

8 comments:

swooze said...

Great to see you blogging. How are you getting around on that leg now? I hope everything settled down and it’s counted as an overall success.

Sara said...

Well bummer on that whole knee replacement process!! It's good to see you back. I hope you have a terrific summer. My guess is you won't like that campground as well as the southern one. It's just a tougher location with the isolation. I used to be in that area about once a week as the Crow Creek and Lower Brule schools were ones I visited frequently for my work.

Nann said...

Nice to see a blog post from you, Lori! Hope you have a smooth adjustment to not-farming this year -- and that your knee heals well.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

Welcome back! I hope your knee is much better and that you enjoy your new “post” and retirement from farming.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

I wondered where you'd got to, but it looks like you're on a new adventure in a new campground. Just so you know, I did wave at you in the little building as we drove by last summer though I didn't know if you were there or not. Our DIL has her honkin' big camper in the Yankton RV Park and we made it up there a few times. We don't camp. The hubby doesn't see the point. He just fishes! LOL

Hope the knee heals up well and you have a great summer.

straythreads said...

Glad to see you posting again and glad the knee is doing better. Saturday was a beautiful day in South Dakota

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is quite a zipper!! And a lot of changes - hope you like your new campground!

Moneik said...

Glad you're on the mend from the knee and will have a new adventure this summer.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...