Monday, April 23, 2018

Design Wall Monday-Stash Report-Weekly Goals

Yesterday I worked on an Irish Chain that had stalled since 2006?  2007?  A long time.   Its part of the Irish Chain Challenge and now a finished flimsy--


Not quilted but it is all together!  Blue is not my favorite color to work with, and I think two fabric quilts are boring to make.  But two color quilts are beautiful when finished.  This one is for my daughter--requested before she had three boys and a cat.  I wonder how she'll keep all that white clean??  

I also have a finish--Beach Party--


Beach Party is 76x100".  Its a Nickel Quilts pattern.  Years ago I had participated in a brights 5" charm swap and I used them in this quilt.  The perfect border fabric came from 2Rs stash.  


I found a coordinating stripe for bias binding and made rounded corners because I love how they look. The purple backing was one I dyed.  I estimate this quilt used 16 yards of fabric.  This is an OLD UFO--pre2006. The top languished on a hanger waiting for that perfect border fabric!  Thank you 2Rs!

Stash Report
Added this week--00.00 yds
Add YTD 128.80 yds
Out this week--16yds
Out YTD 144.25
I'm ahead 15.45 yards!
  
Binding is a favorite part of the quilt process.  I have a binding stash--


Dark bindings are sewn on during the day, lighter ones at night.  Even though I have THREE lights surrounding my chair to aid me, I just can't see the really dark bindings very well.  

Weekly Goals

Quilt Quilt Quilt
Bind Bind Bind

Yes, that's my list for this week.  The Princess and I have a week long date!


~Lori in South Dakota~



16 comments:

Nann said...

Beach Party is wonderful, Lori! The border and binding are just perfect.
(I couldn't help turning my head to see the blocks on point. Hmmm.....)

Bonnie said...

I agree with you completely about two color quilts -- both boring and gorgeous in the end. Congrats on moving it forward. Beach Party is so much fun. I, too, had to look at the diagonal -- I finally figured out how the blocks are done -- maybe. Your rounded corners with that stripe binding -- fabulous. Enjoy the finish.

Alison V. said...

I love Beach Party! I definitely agree with you about the border fabric -- it's just perfect for this quilt!

Judy D in WA said...

Beach Party is fabulous!!! So bright and happy! Love your Irish Chain. I thinks it's hard for a scrappy quilter to work on a 2 color quilt. Dark fabric bindings are definitely for daylight hours.

Suzanne said...

Beach Party finished up so lovely!

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I really like that Blue Irish Chain - Blues and whites look so great together!

Sara said...

I'm with you on dark bindings only sewn during the daylight.

Love both of those finished quilts. I actually do like 2 color quilts, and have 2 blue/white ones. Someday I'm going to do a red/white one. And the Irish Chain is such a striking design. Good job!

Sandi1100 said...

Lori, your quilts are beautiful! I also like to bind my quilts as then I know I'm close to a finish.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Your quilts are beautiful! I've always admired blue/white & red/white quilts, but like you, I find working with just two colors boring. I'm more of a scrappy, throw it all in, type of quilter.

Borders & bindings are my downfall. I like the look of borders on a quilt so I do them, but I only bind totally be machine using the method I saw on a Judy Laquidara video.

BunkHouseQuilts said...

Pretty cute quilt. The striped, curved binding is perfect. Love the curves.

Anonymous said...

Both quilts look fabulous to me. I really love 2-color quilts, and especially blue ones. Great to have two more UFOs off the list, even if the one still needs quilting and binding.

Judy Hansen said...

I don't think 2 color quilts are boring - they are calm, serene, cool and collected.....and I love them when I am not any of these things. Your border and binding is just perfect for your colorful quilt. Great choices. Thanks for linking with Design Wall Monday, I appreciate you. Judy

em's scrapbag said...

Love your Beach Party Quilt! So happy! Great finish!

cocoya said...

I love Beach Party! I definitely agree with you about the border fabric -- it's just perfect for this quilt!
Genting Crown

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love to have bindings to work on. Your quilts are lovely. Thanks for sharing with Oh Scrap!

sherry said...

Beach Party looks like a beach party. Bring on the dogs and marshmallows.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...