Sunday, November 15, 2020

Design Wall Monday

Earlier this year I made 56 Churn Dash blocks as a RSC project.  Last week I pulled them out to see if I had a plan.  Nope. There were lots of pink, yellow, orange, green and some blue blocks.  I had seen a picture of a quilt that alternated Churn Dash and Greek Cross blocks.  That would be easy, I can use the same Accuquilt die to cut the Greek Cross blocks.  Browns, purples, reds, and a black were cut and sewn up.  Dee said to "lay out my blocks to see".  Great advice Dee!
A happy design accident!  The darker Greek Cross blocks stand out and look like straight setting, the the lighter Churn Dash blocks recede and look like the diagonal setting they are.  More blocks to be made, I have enough cut for two boy quilts.  Each will have 30 Churn Dash and 20 Greek Cross.  I did not rearrange these blocks AT ALL when I laid them out, but after I took a photo to study I could see the possibilities.  Not everything went as smoothly--
A date with "Jack".  I'm linking with Oh Scrap, Monday Making, and Design Wall Monday.

Friday the 13th I had a fling!  I delivered 13 boy quilts to my guild's donation coordinator.  
These quilts were 70-75" x 80-100".  Mary in SD, Dee in Nebraska, and Liz in Houston all made tops.  Judy B in MN donated many of the backings.  Mary also bound several of the quilts.  I made quilts.  Some quilts all I did was quilt and supply the batting.  Many friends shared fabric. They filled the back seat of the pickup--
This was truly a group effort, thank you everyone!

I have a hibiscus named "Marvy".  He is supposed to start going dormant, be pruned, and rest up for next year.  Nope, not doing that yet--
10 huge flowers with at least that many buds.  How big are those flowers?
As big as my hand!   I brought in two hibiscus and two mandevilla to overwinter.  They were all growing happily and I could not bear to let them freeze, they are tropical flowers, when it drops below 50° they are unhappy.

Happy Monday!

Lori1R in South Dakota

8 comments:

Meloney said...

Love your setting with the alternate blocks. I'm trying to figure one out too. I could find a fabric, but I don't have one in the stash, that I could add plain squares, but I'd like to do something different.

Nann said...

Your clever setting is such a great example of the same-but-different that makes scrappy quilts so appealing. Your persistent hibiscus are beautiful! And congratulations on the charity quilts (both for their creation and their delivery).

Sara said...

Spectacular!! Both the stack of quilts and the hibiscus! That is an amazing bunch of quilts that will go to a great cause I'm sure.

I'm always surprised to lay out 2 different blocks and realize they create a whole new secondary design. Those will be pretty!

TerryKnott.blogspot.com said...

Clever setting for your Greek cross blocks! Kudos for finishing so many tops to go to boys!

gudrun said...

Drooling over those lovely November Hibiscus. Amazing.

ChrisP said...

Very pretty block combinations you have laid out. Double kudos to you and your helpful friends for getting together 13 quilts for donating. Can I just say how gorgeous your tropical hibiscus is, I would have brought the plants inside too and held off pruning for as long as possible.

Quiltpiecer said...

I really like the two-block combination and colors. Beautiful hibiscus. And congratulations on the charity quilts donation.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Oh how I like your happy Accident!!! it really looks great together - and the grey peeking out... makes it look like you have already chosen your setting triangles - and I like it!!!

Congrats on an awesome fling!! Those quilts will be LOVED!!

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...