Thursday, August 31, 2017

Bat Adventures

The Visitor Center gets bats inside every so often.  They are a protected species so we don't kill them.  A big "bat net" to catch them, and "bat gloves" to handle them.


I'm not scared of the bats.  Especially since I have a good grip on him, he's not going to crawl up my arm.  Bats cannot fly from a standstill like a bird, they need to "drop" in order to fly.  


Notice the thick leather gloves.  He can't bite me through them. 

Usually if we toss them gently into the air they will fly away.  Usually.


This bat was a bit lethargic and didn't fly, so instead we took him to a big tree which he quickly climbed.  Bats eats lots of insects and we appreciate that.  

Cecely discovered another nest of bunnies in the flower pots.  


I wonder how many we didn't see??!!  They better quit reproducing, winter is coming!  

~LORI in Nebraska~

2 comments:

Sara said...

I'm not afraid of bats, but will readily admit that they startle me when they fly close by out of the dark night. We have bats in our backyard quite often and they appear to "hang out" under the roof overhang behind the garage.

Tired Teacher said...

I'm glad you have "bat gloves." Two year six ago, a local woman died of rabies from a bat bite.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...