Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Nature Out Our Door

There is nature to be found right outside the door.  The mowerman brought me this to play with--


A small Racer snake.  They have a spotted color pattern that gradually fades to a dark color with a light belly as they get older.  He was cold and very lethargic,  sat for a couple hours on my keyboard.  


They are non-venemous and he was fun to show to visitors.  If I held him on my arm/hand where it was warm he perked up.  We've seen lots of small ones, a nest probably hatched nearby.

Karla found this fellow outside and brought him in--


A Cicada!  He was quite large--2 inches long--and sat on the edge of my laptop.  They are harmless, do not bite or sting, but will "rattle" if you hold him inside your hands and shake him.  I took him back outside and put him on a tree--


Can you find him?  He blends in quite well.  Look closer--


There he is!  While at the Campground booth this fellow sat on the windowsill--

A small moth, a Chickweed Geometer.  Maybe only an inch long.  But what I really admired was his antennae--


And yesterday this fellow was outside on the sidewalk--

A Ruby Throated Hummingbird.  He would fly up to the flower pot and check all the flowers for nectar.  But from his duller coloring we assumed he was a juvenile.  He better head south pretty soon!  

Nature can be found right outside the door!

~Lori1R in Nebraska~

3 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

All kinds of interesting things. That snake would be a good way to keep anyone from messing with your computer! The only cicadas I ever come across are dead ones, but the live ones sure have been singing their hearts out.

Sara said...

If someone put a snake on my keyboard I would be out the door in a flash and never return. You are much braver than me.

Susan said...

That is all so amazing! I like snakes, too. They are mostly no trouble, and not a lot of clean-up-after. =) The antennae on that moth are amazing!

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...