Monday, March 25, 2019

Design Wall Monday and Weekly Goals

I've been working on the Blue Ohio Stars again--


There are 36 of these blocks now, need to decide if I want 42 blocks (I like rectangular quilts) and how I will set them. Side by Side?  Sashings?  Cornerstones?  Any suggestions?  They are 12" blocks made with multiple whites and blues.

The prop in the picture is our daughter's cheerleading pompoms from high school.  A camera takes a "flat" picture.  The bottom three blocks have something behind them to tilt them so they show on the picture, a box, a roll of tv cable, and the roll of duck tape all hidden by the blue fabric.  The picture was taken with a slight downward angle.  Snapseed has a tool called "perspective" which you can use to change angles or "pull" the picture in different directions.  Its like blocking a quilt block--you can tweak it!  You can fudge small imperfections.  Here is an unedited photo taken from straight on angle--


Not near as eye appealing!

Weekly Goals

Quilt the 9 patch top
Bind 9 patch top
More Green RSC blocks

That's it for this week.  There are other life errands to do.  

Ken's mother has been using a walker so I made a walker bag--


Walker Bag
A few "tweaks".  Make sure the opening to turn the bag is on a section you know folds up for top stitching.  Its a bit too deep, I used a 60" piece of fabric.   Check the walker to see where the cross bars fall--mine has bars in a straight line so the velcro was perfect. MIL's walker has angled braces so the velcro could be a bit lower.  But I used wide velcro and I doubt she's be hauling bricks in it!  A very narrow pocket to hold a pen/pencil would be handy and easy to add.  I thought it would be handy for my MIL's wallet, water bottle, phone.  Thank you Candra for sending me this link--its exactly what I wanted.  


~Lori1R in South Dakota~

3 comments:

Kathleen said...

You could only do horizontal sashing not vertical with 36" and maybe with a bit of piecing in a top and bottom border (a strip of checks or flying geese or something like that. It s a beautiful set of stars.

Sara said...

I’m enjoying seeing how you are doing your photos. Very simple ideas make a lot of difference. I have 3 Ohio Stars made, but need to make more of them. Mine are smaller, only 10.5” square.

swooze said...

Thanks for sharing snapseed. I’ll have to check it out.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...