Thursday, August 11, 2011

A Visitor to the VC

I enjoy watching the visitors at the Visitor Center.   Here is a set of grandparents trying on the 1800's period clothes with a grandson---



Dress up is fun at any age!

But some of our visitors do not come in through the door.   We have several of these during the summer---



He's not very good at hiding--a brown bat on a white wall really shows up!   He's small--maybe 3-4 inches long.



There is "bat catching gear" at the VC.  A net on a very long pole, and leather gloves.   Bats are protected species--we catch them and release them outside.  Did you know that bats cannot fly when they are on the ground?  They need to "drop" from a height to fly.  This one was only about knee height on the wall, I just used the gloves to pick him off the wall and hung him on an oak tree outside.   These bats eat insects--so I hope he's busy eating mosquitos at night.   





3 comments:

Nancy said...

I don't know if I could handle the bat even with gloves, but I suppose you have done it so many times that it doesn't bother you.

Brenda said...

I LOVE BATS!!!!!

I used to get so annoyed at my cat, she would hurt them... okay, kill them, but for her I guess it was a challange.... It just hurt my heart when I would see her 'prize' - I love bats!!!
And I am making a bat house for my house!!! I don't know where to hang it, or how I will hang it, but I am going to have one or two or heck, lets for for 5!! Bat houses!!!

Your little guy, trying to 'hide' in plain sight was just to cute!!! Thank-You for treating him so well!!!

My sis had mice in her attic - or so she thought!! When someone came to help her out, that is when she found out the noise she heard at night, were bats in the attic!!!! Now, I don't know if i would like that!! But it still makes me laugh! She does not like bats!! So they are gone now!!!

Susan said...

I love bats! I always did a wonderful bat unit in October with my second graders. One year, I took sixth graders up to tag bats, and that was super, too. With all this furor about the "vampire bat invasion" from South America, there's probably going to be a lot of trouble for little guys like this one. I'm amazed at the statistics on how many insects they eat. We would truly be inundated if there were no bats.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...