Thursday, April 16, 2020

I Have A Finish!

Its been busy here.  But I FINALLY have a finish!  


Stoplight was pieced in summer of 2018? while living in the camper.  Judy B in MN supplied the backing, it will be donated to the boy's group home.  Here's a pic of the snuggly backing--


I'll estimate 13 yds of fabric.  I have slowly been hand binding it since last summer.  You can find the free patten here.  I used a box of 2.5" strips and 2.5" squares for this pattern. 
Some quilters precut without a plan.  I only precut my scraps into a few sizes, depending on the scrap--2.5" strips if its a long piece, 5" squares, 3.5"x6.5" bricks, and 2.5" squares.  These are sizes I use.  Remember the scrap box I was going to CHOP CHOP in March?


I finished last week--


219 5" charms, 318 bricks, and a pile of 2.5" squares.  Two larger scraps went back into stash.  Enough from that box for two or three good sized quilts.  Quilts are planned using these precut sizes.

And I have made a few masks.  Very few.  Enough for family.  I SUCK at making masks!  I needed a mask for myself so I pulled out a green batik, I love the color green.  Put it on and took a selfie--


OMG--I made a NINJA TURTLE MASK!  I wore it yesterday at the grocery store and heard a few chuckles.  That's ok, I laughed too!
Stay safe!

Lori1R in South Dakota



6 comments:

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

"A Lot" for the count on the square pile...love it! I'd have to put that on my whole stash.

Like the quilt too...so colorful and cheerful. The only thing I've finished is to put the binding on a quilt I quilted in 2008 or 2007.

Haven't gotten into the mask craze though I should do some for us at least. Rarely see anyone wearing one around here. Only one case in the county so far & one each in a couple neighboring counties. Sure hope the numbers continue to stay down.

Snowing again! Drat!!!

Sara said...

I cut the same sizes from my scraps, along with 3.5” squares too. Sometimes I’ll cut charm squares too. Need to clean up some of my scraps again and do some cutting. Your quilt looks great and will be loved.

I also only made masks for family and a few friends. While waiting to pick up my grocery order today at Coborns I noticed almost everyone coming out of the store was wearing a mask.

Tired Teacher 2 said...

It feels odd to wear a mask, but we’ll all get used to them by the time this virus has run its course. I cut my scraps into the same sizes. It’s nice to be able to grab and start a project.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

That is an awesome finish!! Yay!!!

compusword said...

Lori, I think the grocery store folks were JEALOUS of your green ninja mask!
That Stoplight quilt gorgeous and cheers to someone donating a backing.
Let's go sew some more, Liz in Houston

Phyllis in Iowa said...

I really like this Scrappy Stoplight quilt.
Hope it's ok to use your idea for a few donation quilts for the University of Iowa Children's Hospital.
I made my masks from beautiful Kaffe Fassett fabrics. If I have to wear a mask, I want to wear something pretty.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...