Wednesday, December 9, 2020

What I'm Working On

With surgery looming I need precut simple piecing for after surgery.  Mindless, no brain needed piecing.  I have a box of homespuns Judy B in MN gave me, I've been pondering a project.  Pulled out all the homespuns, grouped by color and washed them in hot water.  I hung them to dry, this is some of them--
There are at least 35 yards of homespuns.  I needed a plan.  I have Accuquilt Churn Dash (9" & 12") and Flying Geese (3"x6") dies.  I have plenty of natural heavy muslin.  I can make LOTS of blocks easily.  Homespuns + vintage blocks = WIN to me!  Homespuns aren't bright like Kaffe Fasset, or eye catching like modern prints BUT I find them timeless and comfortable.   Cuddling in a quilt made of these is like putting on your softest flannel shirt.  I made a few blocks to see--

So that's my plan, I will press with plenty of starch before cutting--essential to working with homespuns.  

Lori1R in South Dakota

PS--Thanks to Liz in Houston for tip on cutting pool noodles to go on hangers--they're perfect for hanging fabric or quilts tops and prevent a stiff crease!  The noodles are easily cut/slit with a serrated knife.

2 comments:

cityquilter grace said...

oh i love the look of homespuns...either pattern would be terrific i am sure...

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

love this plan - and I LOVE homespuns - so I think you are on a great plan!

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...