Friday, January 18, 2019

Motivation Friday

Friday, time to check my goals--

Press scraps--YES
Prep a top to quilt--No
Sew on R/W 9 patches--Yes
Most of this week has been spent on Scrap Attack.  Its been at least 3-4 years since I did a major scrap attack.  At the end of the month 2Rs and I are heading to Dee's in Nebraska and we're going to do mass scrap cutting.  Hopefully I will get enough pieces cut for four quilts.  Two Log Cabins, a Snail Trail, and a Shakespeare in the Park.  Maybe a Churn Dash. And cut the rest into strips for future use.  

The mailman has delivered three priority boxes of donation fabric in the last month.  Since it doesn't cost me any $$$, I don't count it in the stash report.  I use lots of fabric in the boy quilts.  Specifically picked for me by a friend, there were kits, FQs, and lots of green fabric!  This week I rinsed and pressed most the FQs.  This takes out all the set in wrinkles, removes the excess dye, and preshrinks the fabric.  Notice I said "rinsed", I did not wash the FQs.  Grouped by color I soaked them in hot tap water, then threw them in the washer on spin to remove excess water.  A short trip in the dryer, then I pressed and starched them flat.  These are laid flat in a large tote to take to Nebraska.  We will be using Accuquilt Go Cutters to turn scraps into quilt kits using a Log Cabin die, a Snail Trail Die, and possibly a Churn Dash die.  I've gone through almost all my scrap boxes and organized what there was.  Smaller pieces have been cut into my favorite usable precut bits.  So far this week I cut 292 - 5" charms, 173 - Bricks (3.5x6.5") and a small mountain of 2.5" squares.  There hasn't been much sewing this week so tonight I sewed up a few blocks for fun--


Six uneven 9 patches or Puss in Corner blocks and two Garlic Knots.  Next I will check the shelves for small pieces of yardage, especially for lights.  More organization is needed before I go.  


Do you save your scraps for a Scrap Attack, or do you use them immediately?  Or do you not keep scraps?  

~Lori1R in South Dakota~

3 comments:

Ramona said...

I need to tackle my scraps, too, but would rather be quilting. I should set goals like you did and just deal with them. Great blocks!

Amy Art Quilter & Fyber Cafe said...

I am always happy when I find a good idea for scrap quilts, I do a lot of pre cutting in standard sizes. I purged my sewing room, then cut fabric for 3 weeks to use it up. I've already made 3 twin tops for a children's charity. You look like you are well prepared for your scrap weekend, have fun!

Kathy S. said...

Many of my scraps are sorted in 30 gallon totes by color. Once in a while when I pull fabrics for a scrap quilt in a certain color I recently started sorting by strings vs. big chunks/yardage by color. I do have a huge storage area, so that's not a problem. I also have art boxes where I keep cut 2.5" and 1.5" strips. Those are sorted by neutrals or other. I do not have those separated by color.

I love scraps too. Making quilts from things that someone threw away is my passion.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...