Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Wednesday Puttering

Not much blogworthy here.  Yesterday afternoon we had a sudden downpour.  I was driving and decided to pull over--


I had a safe place to pull off the road, couldn't see a thing.  We've had LOTS of rain this summer.  It makes for happy flowers, Grandpa Ott and Heavenly Blue--


 And happy tomatoes--





My tomatoes are in large pots on top a picnic table.  I only have five plants but they will supply me with plenty to eat fresh and to share. 

The native flowers are blooming, these are Mentzelia decapetala or Ten Petal Blazing Star.





The plants are unimpressive, rather spindly and with frowzy leaves.  But the flowers are large and lush, opening in the evenings.  They grow where the soil has been disturbed, these are growing where trees have been cut up and the bulldozer moved them.  I plan to pick the seeds this fall and start some for the Native Prairie Garden at the Visitor Center.

This weekend is Riverboat Days, the campgrounds will be full with many vendors and activities planned at Riverside Park. Laura Beth, Nick, and the boys will be camping next to me.  FUN FUN FUN!! 

The only sewing I'm done has been binding.   This week is volunteering, campground gate work, and family.  

~Lori1R in Nebraska~

3 comments:

Sara said...

All of that rain yesterday missed us here in Mitchell. We've had a light sprinkle this morning. But I have to agree that the rain this summer has kept my flowers and lawn very happy. I've been buying my tomatoes from the farmer's market this summer but they've been yummy!

Enjoy Riverboat Days! We've never taken it in.

Suzanne said...

I keep hoping for some rain here, but none, so far. We are enjoying the bounty of our garden too. Enjoy your family time.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

Our rain yesterday afternoon amounted to .10 of an inch. Our tomatoes are kind of slow to ripen this year and with the blight that got started they are losing their leaves. I'm afraid a lot of the tomatoes will have sunburn that will have to be cut away for canning. So far none canned. Zucchini has been prolific. A friend shared a recipe for Lemon Zucchini Cake that is excellent. Done with corn & beans. That's a relief! Sounds like a busy weekend. Our son & family were going to camp up there but friends they camp with got a year round spot at CJ's and Al & Katie don't like it there so they're staying home and getting some things done the way it sounds now. Our daughter & her hubby have a spot at CJ's too and seem OK with it. They really don't care about the camping spot, just so they can be out on the boat as much as possible.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...