Friday, January 19, 2018

Motivation Friday and some Flings

This week I have some finishes.  First is the Teal project--


Lost the light to the west, Ken is standing on the deck holding it draped over the handrails of the steps facing south.  I estimated 13 yds-78x94".  This will be donated to the boys group home. I made Album blocks for RSC and they are so versatile--I love them!  This is quilt #7?? from Album blocks.

I made another Album block quilt--


This one used a hodgepodge of fabrics.  Dark brown for the background--used it all.  There was the lighter brown and the blue--but not enough for borders all the way around.  The light inner border is browns/blue/white--perfect!  It was strips in a box of scraps from Dee.  Thank you Dee--they were perfect!  Its 81X97" for 14 yds.  I dyed a blue backing for it. 

I had a lot of album blocks and wanted to do "something different" with them.  Kat drew up the pattern for a "streak of lightning" setting and did the math for me.  Thank you so much Kat!!! Kat has a blog Scrapbox Quilts.

Next up is a Scrappy Trips--


It languished in a laundry basket for a couple years, I didn't like it.  I redid it (rip rip rip) using dark blues in the same position in all the blocks and then let them form a diagonal chain.  Better.  A blue border draws the blue out.  Its a free pattern at Quiltville.com  Thank you Bonnie--I use this pattern A LOT!!   I also quilted this using Bright variegated thread--


Hard to see on the light blue backing.  88X100" for 15 yds.

This was a favorite of mine to make--


Scrappy 4 patches and squares.  The "chain" squares were made using brighter TOT fabrics and black.  Just assorted scrap 5" charm squares.  81X95" for 15 yds.

Judy in MN made this top--


Forgive me Judy--I didn't notice I had the state wrong until after the quilt was donated and I had deleted the original picture.  But is was made by Judy B in MINNESOTA!  Judy generously sends me tops to quilt and backings--boxes of backings!  Last week I received EIGHT in the mail.  This so helps the boy quilt project as I have tops waiting for backings.  Thank you so much Judy B!!  All I did was quilt this top and make the binding for 3/4yd.  There are different nautical motifs--boats, lighthouses etc.  I think the quilt should be called "Sunny Days on the Water" 75X92".  The last four quilts have already been donated to the boys group home. I hugged them all before they left, so they have built in hugs!

These finishes will have an impact on my stash report--57.75 yds of stash was used! 

Lorri2Rs is coming this week to sew, I have her bed made--




If you'd like to join us there are more beds and LOTS of quilts to snuggle under. 

How are my goals coming??

Last two borders on the Orange project--done
Pick a top to quilt--done
Start sewing on an Irish Chain project-not yet
Cut Shuffle Pieces-not yet
Finish binding the teal quilt--done
Prep a backing--done
Pretty good!  An old project got me a little off track--
My YoYo project!  I needed a "recliner" hand sewing project (usually bindings) but pulled this out.  So far 35 "blocks" are done--that's 2,240 yoyos.  I am setting these on the diagonal and will have to make more yoyos.  First I will finish sewing together what I have.  Its 49 random yoyos framed by 28 all the same fabric.  Who knows, maybe this year it will be finished.  

~Lori in South Dakota~

4 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

The Album Block quilts are very nice: I love that way the blocks are arranged and set. The backgrounds allow the blocks to be the stars of the tops.

Oh my, I'd go loony working on that many yo-yos! I do like how they form blocks.

Kudos on all the finished projects.

Sara said...

I'm blown away by the yo-yo project! Wow!!! And great job on all of those finishes! Say HI to Lorri (2Rs) from me.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

You've been busy, busy, busy. All your finishes are beautiful.

Katie Z. said...

Your quilts are gorgeous. I remember that yo-yo project, and I’m glad you’re still working on it.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...