Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Eclipse

Yesterday was the eclipse and we had fun.  Karla had a homemade viewing box--


Yes, it worked!  David demonstrated the proper way to wear the special glasses--


Did we see much of the eclipse?  No--just bits and pieces due to heavy clouds which turned into this--




A heavy rain with lots of wind!  This picture was taken from inside the Visitor Center.  We had 1" of rain, but parts of South Dakota, Iowa, and Minnesota had much more with high winds, hail, and flooded roads.  I'm not sure how much rain we had in our fields, but Ken said the ditches were full of water and parts of the fields had standing water.  As dry as we have been I doubt the standing water will be there yet today.  

Although I didn't see much of the eclipse, I knew there would be great pictures online and on TV and didn't feel left out.  Teresa in Kentucky sent me pictures from Paducah--




Thank you Teresa!  

This weekend was Riverboat Days in Yankton.  Laura Beth, Nick, and the grandsons camped next to us.  We had LOTS of fun!  Moustache was popular--we had to make a few rules.  If Moustache went under the door to "escape" the boys had to leave him alone--


Its important that Moustache has a "safe" place.  Another safe place was under the recliner--he often went there to nap.  You can see the boys love Moustache, and it became a fun game for them to look under the door, and Moustache to peek out at them!  Don't worry, Moustache played with them and had lots of petting.  After they left he did this--


He slept until late evening!  Its no secret I HATE spiders.  This morning I decided to unfold my wagon to let it dry--


UGH!  He (she?) was the size of a fifty center piece.  Its a variety of Wolf spider near as I can tell.  I hope he's gone by the time I get back!

I'm caught up on laundry and did some hand sewing of binding last night.  Maybe I can pull my sewing machine out and sew a little this week.

~Lori in Nebraska~



3 comments:

Tired Teacher said...

Drat! I'm sorry you had nasty weather for the eclipse- it was spectacular here. Massive amounts of people flooded into Wyoming for totality.

QuiltinLibraryLady said...

You let that enormous spider live??? I'd have smashed it to mush. I'll bet Moustache was totally worn out by the boys' love. I watched the eclipse on TV and the computer, all at once. The storm moved in after it was all over so it was good timing. We got about .20 of rain. It rained hard for a bit and the wind picked up, but nothing like in some places. I saw a picture of baseball sized hail at Menno, SD. Yikes! So beautiful out today....one of those perfect Nebraska days...one of about two we get a year.

Sara said...

We had that storm too during the eclipse, but didn't get near as much rain as most.

I had to chuckle about the cat's safe places. Our cat hides under the loveseat in the living room - which didn't help a lot when Jonah kept sitting on it and bouncing. Poor Sammy kept growling and howling from under the chair until I convinced Jonah to sit somewhere else.

Playing Catchup

Its been busy!  Thanksgiving has come and gone, soon it will be Christmas.  We got our vaccinations a couple weeks ago--Covid, RSV, Influena...